Aerial Hoop with Pole Perfect Fitness.
Having been featured on screen many times notably on BBC1’s Tumble in 2015 and more recently in The Greatest Showman; Aerial hoop is a beautiful art form. It is one of the oldest and most respected forms in the aerial tradition, aerial hoops help graceful performers create stunning displays of skill high above the stage. The origins of Aerial Hoop, also known as “Circeaux” and “Lyra” are unclear, but it has been mentioned in mainstream circus performance since the mid-2000s.
It is a suspended steel hoop, much like a hula hoop, but rigged by one or two points and may have evolved from the high wire and trapeze swinging acts, which in turn came from gymnastics and acrobatics. The metal hoops come in two main configurations. One features a single tab, which is the harness that secures the hoop to it’s connecting chain or rope. A single tab hoop spins and swings easier, but is less stable and will rotate if used for certain poses. A double tab hoop features two connections, adding balance and stability to the hoop for difficult poses.
Each class will involve a Warm Up, Conditioning, Hoop Tricks, Transitions and Combos, building to a choreographed routine for each level to conquer over the period of your course, finishing your session with a Cool Down and Stretches. The instructor will demonstrate new tricks, moving around the room to spot students. Aerial hoop does take a lot of upper body strength but complete beginners are welcome as you will learn tricks and poses step by step, building your strength up over time and developing your flexibility.
Our classes are all about fun and fitness; for all ages, sizes and abilities. We all work together to be encouraging and all inclusive. Please browse the website for information regarding class timetable before emailing us, but if there is something you cant find then don’t hesitate to ask!
Aerial Hoop has many benefits:
- Targets your core and upper body to lift your legs up and through the hoop.
- Improves core stability and strength.
- Improves balance.
- Increases flexibility.
- Improves joint mobility.
- Increased upper body strength.
- Building endurance.
- It’s fun: Above all, the class is extremely enjoyable.
Anyone can do it: Although it does take time and training, classes can be tailored to fit the needs and physical ability of the individual.
What is best to wear?
- Leggings or Lycra trousers.
- Long socks or Leg Warmers to protect your feet (Although not essential).
- Long sleeved top will help protect arms but Vest top would be ok.
- Don’t wear anything too baggy, it might get caught.
- All jewellery to be removed.
Tips for making the most of your classes:
- Avoid upper body workouts the day before class.
- Get enough sleep the night before.
- Eat something 60 to 90 minutes prior to class.
- Drink plenty of water before, during, and after class. Bring a water bottle.
Professional Aerial Shots:
Aerial Hoop Lessons created around your ability:
- Kids Aerial Hoop – Classes dedicated to mini ones. Ages 5 to 11. Learning specific moves, tricks and poses that will give them the skills necessary to be safe and effective, simple combinations and short routines.
- Aerial Hoop Foundation / Beginners Only – Learning specific moves, tricks and poses that will give you the skills necessary to be safe and effective. This is where we build on your previous knowledge (Aproximately 20 moves) and start to form simple combinations and short routines. Once you confidently complete Beginners Level you then move into the Improvers classes.
- Aerial Hoop Improvers – This is a key stage of your training as we perfect your knowledge at Foundation level, improving your strength, flexibility, fitness levels and technique to ensure you will be moving confidently and gracefully around the hoop. Pushing you creative talents even further you will then be comfortable joining Intermediate level Aerial Hoop classes!
- Aerial Hoop Intermediates – These are suitable for students who have completed a Foundation / Beginners course (Aprox 12 weeks) and Improvers (Aprox 12 weeks) or have knowledge and experience in other aerial apparatus to an Intermediate Level. The skills in these classes will build further on your repertoire of hoop moves (Additional 52 moves) and prepare you for putting these into combinations confidently – all on both sides and into more complicated routines! There is a focus on good form and strength to prepare you for the next level.
- Aerial Jam – This session is yours. It is unstructured and for you to use to work on anything you need to, just have a move/moves that you have been struggling with or need abit more practice and there will be an instructor to help you with what you’re trying to achieve. Suitable for Improvers Level and above.
- Introduction to Aerial Hoop – If you have NEVER taken an Aerial Hoop class and are new to aerial apparatus, this is the class for you. In this class you will learn the various techniques to enter and exit from the hoop along with conditioning, strength and flexibility exercises. Starting to build up your hoop repertoire of approximately 15 moves. After grasping these fundamentals in the 4 week course, you will be comfortable joining Foundation level Aerial Hoop classes.
- Aerial Hoop Mixed Ability – A class catering for all levels from complete beginners up to advanced, you will be on a hoop with other ladies / gents of your ability and will work through a wide range of tricks and combinations set to your capability.
- Photo Shoot Practice – We run regular student photo shoots which are great for boosting the confidence of our students, it provides a great way to keep track of progress and show off their skills to friends and family. Students get to dress up however they want, they can make it sporty, sexy or fancy dress – the only limit is the imagination.
- Please see our timetable for specific class times and dates.
- Classes are available as Blocks or Memberships, please contact for specific costs to ensure your getting the best options available for you.
- Please see T’s and C’s prior to booking.
Pole Perfect Fitness can also offer:
- 1-2-1 personalised lesson. 1 hour tuition for those who are a little nervous about starting or would like a little extra practice. We can also offer small group training such as 2-2-1 or 3-2-1 sessions.
- Workshops designed to improve existing skills in a safe and encouraging atmosphere hosted by a variety of fitness professionals including experienced pole instructors, personal trainers, gymnastic coaches and more.
- Parties. Want something totally different and fun for your works Christmas do, Leaving Party, Hen or Birthdays? Then we can offer PARTY PACKAGES!!! We can tailor the party to be fitness specific, routines or more, option to have a bar offering Mocktails on arrival and drinks once the session has finished.